Moving is notoriously stressful and with it comes the unavoidable task of cleaning. Whether you have a security deposit on the line or just appreciate a clean living space, this guide to cleaning your home is here to help.
Before You Start
With the whirlwind that is moving, it’s easy to forget the small things so let’s make sure you’re ready to start cleaning! First check all your walls to make sure that there are no nails or tacks left in. Next, make sure your home is ready to clean easily (if it’s not already empty) and put any chairs up to make floor cleaning more manageable.
Be sure to also check that you have all the supplies that you will need (microfiber cloths, sponges, disinfectant, windex…) because there’s nothing worse than being in the middle of cleaning and realizing you have to go to the store!
Move Out Cleaning Checklist:
- Wipe down high traffic areas – don’t forget the walls and windows
- Clean all of the kitchen appliances including the microwave if you’re leaving it
- Clean out all cabinets
- Scrub and clean the shower, toilets, and sinks (go ahead and spare a square and leave a roll of toilet paper for the new tenant!)
- Dust absolutely everything (ceiling fan blades, window blinds, floor corners)
- Sweep and vacuum all floors
- Clean out any sliding glass door tracks
- Wipe down all mirrors
- Remove any food inside your refrigerator
It’s a lot of work cleaning entire homes, whether it be a house or an apartment, but just remember that soon either the new occupant or your wallet will be thanking you!
Move In Cleaning
So you’ve done it and you’ve finally moved into your new place. Congratulations! Now, let’s go over how to make your new home fresh and clean so you can relax and enjoy it.
- Replace all toilet seats (they’re inexpensive and ensure a clean start)
- Disinfect all bathroom surfaces including inside the medicine cabinet and shower
- Consider adding a new lining to your kitchen cabinets
- If you’re renting, think about taking photos of any existing damages you may come across
- Disinfect the kitchen countertops
If you don’t have the time to clean (or the energy!) consider hiring a cleaning professional to do it for you. If you happen to live in the Seattle, Washington area CleanSpace Cleaning Services is an affordable and reliable option. Or as they like to say – “We take you from chaos to clean!”