Mold can grow on almost any surface, whether it’s wood, carpet or food. It’s important to remove mold from your home as quickly as possible, as not only is it gross, it can cause allergic reactions and affect people’s health. White mold, commonly found is closets, should always be removed to reduce negative effects.
Mold can enter your home in several different ways. Open windows and doors can allow mold spores access to moist areas of your home. If mold spores land on a damp area of carpet, they can multiply and grow. Mold growth is often caused by moisture that seeps through flooring or walls. But mold can grow anywhere that moisture is abundant and persistent.
There are several major signs that mold is present in your home. If you can see white mold growing on your carpet, then there’s already heavy mold growth underneath the carpet and in the flooring. Mold also has a damp and musty smell. If people in your home are suffering from hay fever, asthma, or other allergic conditions, mold might be the cause, especially for people with mold sensitivity.
Causes of White Mold
Mold needs moisture to grow; flooding is one of the most common causes of mold growth. After a flood, you should remove the carpet and padding to prevent mold growth. You should also make sure there aren’t any leaks in your bathroom. Carpet that’s laid over concrete is vulnerable to mold, as concrete absorbs moisture and transfers it to the carpet.
The easiest way to stop mold growth is to be aware of the humidity levels in your home. If you have condensation on your windows, it’s a sign that there’s excess humidity in your home. You can reduce the humidity by running a dehumidifier. White mold is impossible to entirely remove from porous surfaces like carpet. Carpet with mold growing on it should be discarded, along with the pads underneath. Running fans in your house can increase air circulation and prevent the growth of mold.